Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tell me your prayer story

I am looking for help again!! When do you pray? Is it random or do you have a set time each day?
I confess that I do not pray every day. I want to, but I am apparently not disciplined enough. And I am not comfortable praying with other people. I grew up with prayer being a private thing, so sharing my prayer time with a partner doesn't happen either.
Here's one thing that has helped me. When I am driving by the Church, I will ask myself, "Am I willing to take 10 minutes to stop by the Prayer Room?" Some days the answer is yes, some days no. But on the days that the answer is yes, I have a better day. A happier day. A more fulfilled day. A more peaceful day.
What is your prayer story?

3 comments:

  1. I have to confess & am a random prayer. I want to pray everyday, if for no other reason, to thank God for all my blessings in my life. My prayers usually consist of praying for others, such as a family member or friend in need. I am a very private person & pray alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray daily, usually silently, and also write my prayers in a journal. Since it's slower to write than talk or think, this creates a little extra space in which it seems like God speaks.

    I struggle with listening, and so before I pray I spend time writing out a "to do" list for the day, to get these thoughts out of the way. I use a timer, so that I don't worry about how long I have been praying and whether I'll be late for my next appointment, I know that the timer will tell me when it's time to move on.
    I pray in the same place and at the same time, and try to always use the same gesture (palms up). My body recognizes this and tends to relax when I do this.

    One of my desires is that my praying in the pulpit be a time of prayer, really open to God, even though it seems so public. It helps that throughout the week I am reading and praying about the scripture reading for Sunday, and at the same time thinking about our congregation. During the week the words and phrases come naturally, almost speaking themselves. By the time Sunday comes along, I've been praying those same phrases and words all week, and the Sunday morning prayer in worship is somehow connected with all the prayers I've been praying all week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading Tuesday's "Prayer", I realized this is exactly what I do. I talk to God on the way into work each day, but I ramble more than actually pray to Him. My mind wanders, then I'm back to talking with Him again. So I wander, am I really praying to Him or am I really just talking to myself and using God as a crutch to listen to me. I'm not really sure, but in the end, I usually feel better.

    ReplyDelete