Monday, March 2, 2009

I'd rather babble

I've heard it said that the most difficult journey is, on average, 12 inches in length. That distance between head and heart.  Why?  What's the story with the checks and balances of knowing and believing, or of belief and faith, or logic and trust, or independence and interdependence?  The contradiction for me in Tuesday's devotion reading is that the crisis of my prayer life isn't "that our mind may be filled with ideas of God while our heart remains far from him".(p. 34)

In my experience, my mind is the limiting factor to my faith.  Lots of times it isn't logical or intellectual to follow in the Way of Christ.  A friend said once that first comes belief and then faith.  Is that how it works for you?

I like to think that prayer is a way of traveling those desolate 12 inches. Between the heart and the head.  Between belief and faith.  Between that which you (obviously) are faithful to and in that which you (really, really) believe.

We fall down: we get up.  

We fall down: we get up.

I believe it would be a wonderful ten minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment