Friday, March 6, 2009

Forgiving myself...there's the rub!

Forgiveness seems like such a cornerstone of our faith, doesn't it? To me, that's one of the most beautiful blessings of being a child of God...unconditional love from pure Love Itself.

You know what I struggle with most of all? Forgiving myself. For some reason, I can forgive and forget with the best of them. I think my husband especially likes this about me. :) But when it comes time to face the crud in my heart, the times I let God down, I have a hard time forgiving myself, all the while begging God to forgive. Why is that? Is this what Nouwen means when he says he doesn't believe he is a forgiven person (pg. 44)? I don't think so, because I fully believe that God isn't holding anything against me. At least I don't want to think so. Then why do I feel guilt long after I've confessed, repented, and changed?

I'm glad God forgives me more easily than I forgive myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment