Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How do I pray?

I don’t know how to pray.
Okay, that’s not exactly true. I do pray. Every day, really. But often, my prayers feel so rote, so uninspired, and so passionless that I wonder if know what I’m doing. I don’t know exactly how it’s supposed to feel, but this can’t be right.
First off, I think I talk too much. Henri Nouwen says we need to listen to God, even if only for 10 minutes a day. What if I don’t hear anything? What if I’m on the wrong frequency?
I guess effective prayer takes focus, not the easiest thing in a world that prizes multi-tasking. I mean, I text people at work on my blackberry while driving with the other hand on I-75! Maybe all this activity is my problem. Too often, I prioritize my time this way: what I must do at work and at home, what I’d like to do for myself, then a few minutes for God at the end of the day. Trouble is, it’s not working that well either for me or for God, who I imagine would like my undivided attention. So this makes a good challenge for this Lenten season. A few minutes of devotion and prayer time each morning at least until Easter. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment