Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Million Little Conversations

10 minutes a day listening to Jesus?

I can't do it.

I can't do it because it feels wrong.

It feels wrong because it's as if I'm playing God.  And God, desperate for my attention and affection, will work with my schedule.

Instead I want to practice the presence of God among the clutter and clatter of everyday life.  Not as a recurring event on my calendar.  And not as a periodic retreat.

I want to be inconvenienced by God.  That keeps me in my place.  And let's God be God.

I want a real relationship.  One that involves hanging out and talking and listening and playing and doing.  One that isn't uncomfortable in silence.  One that is honest.  One that is a million little things throughout the day.

As I'm inconvenienced each day with my cravings and Lenten commitments, I am reminded of my Lord's eternal presence.  I am reminded that my life is about Him, not me.

Prayer is a million little conversations with and without words.  Not a single moment in my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment