Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Brave New World

When I read passages like this, “the first among you must be your slave”, and Henri Nouwen’s call to radical servanthood, I am struck by the bravery of the first Christians.

I imagine a church meeting in a home, master and slaves gathered together. How could a patriarch, a head of the household, allow these words to be spoken? What brave soul read these words to this group of slaves, women (translate women as property), and their master?

What did it mean to the patriarch, the head of the household, the master? What would be the reaction of his colleagues, his friends, if they knew he had allowed words like these to be spoken in his household gathering? Even riskier—if he tried to taken on servant attitude, wouldn’t he be taken advantage of?

What did it mean to the slave knowing that when he left the worship service, he would have no choice, he would still be a servant? What did it mean to a woman knowing that when she left the room, she would have to be submissive to her husband? Perhaps some among them would say, “it’s just words, some things never change”.

Henri Nouwen describes the way of self-giving servanthood as one of joy and gratitude (63, 64). I want to add another word: hope.

Hope that somehow, God brings change. Enough hope to let me take risks.

Even when I give of myself and I am taken advantage of, I hope that even in this situation God can bring resurrection.

Even when I give of myself and there seems to be no appreciation, I hope that even in this situation God can bring new life.

Like the early Christians, I want to trust in the resurrected God; I want to take risks. The words of Christ calling us all to servanthood are more than mere words. They are resurrection, new life, a life of joy and thanksgiving. They are hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment