Thursday, March 5, 2009

Existence of God

Henri Nouwen's meditations for Tuesday and Wednesday, pose several interesting thoughts relative to the existence of God.

For instance, as we pray are we really speaking to empty space, to our self, or to a loving God? Does God really exist?

In my last semester at college, I had to take a required philosophy course. As an engineer, I saw little use in taking this course and accordingly did not pay much attention to the professor. However, I did perk up when the professor began to talk to us about the ways to deduce that God exists. The only one I remember is "I think; therefore I am." None of these convinced me that God existed.

Today, as I ponder the existence of God, I consider the wonders that God has made, the infinite universe, the structure of an atom, the intricacies of the human mind and body, the beauty of nature, and the miraculous birth of a baby. All of these so overwhelm me in complexity that these alone confirm to my intellect and heart that God exists.

However, it is my spirit that really confirms to me that God is real and does truly exist. My spirit recognizes God's love. The Holy Spirit touches my spirit whenever I am loved, because God is love. I am indeed fortunate to have been loved by my wife, children, grandchildren, parents, family, neighbors, friends, and church members. There is nothing better than being loved by someone else.

Because love exists in a world that naturally wants to drift to the base things of life, it is easy for me to believe that God exists and is exactly who He says He is. Love generally goes against the flow.

At age 12, I asked Jesus to become my Lord and Savior. I knew in my spirit at that moment without any doubt that Jesus existed, loved me, and now lived within me. I have not doubted His existence since.

No comments:

Post a Comment