Friday, February 27, 2009

Long For Love

I was reminded in reading today’s meditation by Henri Nouwen that God has placed within each of our hearts a longing for His love. When I feel an absence of God’s love in my heart, I long to refill my heart with His presence and love. God created me so that I want to spend time with Him, want to talk to Him, and want to love Him.

In Psalms 63: 1-3, David describes his longing for God’s love:

“God, you are my God, I am seeking you, my soul is thirsting for you, my flesh is longing for you, a land parched, weary and waterless. I long to gaze on you in the Sanctuary and to see your power and glory. Your love is better than life itself, my lips recite your praise…”

As we journey toward the cross together we should never forget that just as we long for God’s love, God is also longing for our love. In fact, He longs for our love so much that He gave His only Son to die on the cross so that we could have eternal life.

God’s longing for our love is similar to my longing for the love of my grandchildren when I haven’t seen them for a while. I want to see them, to hug them, and to kiss them. I want to be in their presence. I want to hear them say I love you Paw Paw.

For Lent, rather than giving something up, I think I will find a way each day to tell God that I love Him.

1 comment:

  1. John 3:16 (according to Shelby)
    God loved ME so much that He gave His only Son, so that if I believe in Him, I will not perish, but I will have eternal life.

    ReplyDelete